The IoT revolution in manufacturing and beyond is driving an immense increase in data production and bandwidth requirements. This has, in turn, led to the need to process the data closer to the source in order to minimize latency and cost while increasing quality. Edge and fog computing is the answer to that problem; they validate and pre-process data either within a local network (fog) or a gateway device (edge). The solutions below are cutting edge in IoT data processing and networking.
ClearBlade has built a small but scalable and high-performing IoT Edge Platform specifically for companies to synchronize, configure, manage the state of and deploy IoT systems with one common software stack.
With ClearBlade IoT Edge Platform, companies can turn any edge gateway into a platform powerhouse while using the same software at the server and the edge.
Xaptum’s product offering, the Xaptum Edge Network Fabric™, is a computing infrastructure for peering machines, sensors, actuators and IoT devices with Cloud Platforms and IP Networks, to securely exchange context driven transactions in real-time at massive scale.
Xaptum simplifies the orchestration of secure data exchange between Things and Clouds with a software-defined, multi-tenant, IPv6-overlay network.
OSIsoft has built the PI System, a solution specifically for IIoT (Industrial Internet of Things) that enable companies to avoid IIoT disasters by
- Maintaining one version of the truth for operational data and easily integrate it with other systems
- Owning and controlling operational data
- Seeing the data context through collected source metadata that can be filtered, searched, etc.
- Maintaining consistent data quality by buffering and/or storing data during network interruptions
- Optimizing data communications by analyzing raw data in the field and sending only the most important ones
Nebbiolo’s Fog Computing Platform wants to bridge the gap between the Cloud and IoT end-points through a distributed, centrally managed federation of fogNodes.
It is comprised of three different components:
- fogNode™: Hardware with modular design, based on an architecture that enables virtualized compute, network and storage elements.
- fogOS™: Software stack, that enables fast, secure, flexible communications, data management and application deployment at the fog layer.
- fogSM™: System Manager that offers end-to-end system management of distributed networking and computing systems, assets, software, and applications.
FogHorn’s Lightning™ product portfolio has been designed specifically for Industrial IoT and embeds built-in edge intelligence and fog computing directly into small footprint edge devices.
Benefits of this solution include:
- Use of existing analytics and machine learning (ML) algorithms for real-time operation and low latency
- Compatibility with small-computing resources in existing brown-field environments
- Operational technology (OT) centric tools that make it easy for staff to monitor and predict maintenance conditions
- Cloud-agnostic, it collaborates with all Cloud services
- Reduction or elimination of costly and voluminous amounts of OT data to the cloud.
- User-friendly OT-oriented interface
- Translation of tribal knowledge into real-time analytic expressions
- Visualization of real-time sensor data streams
- Advanced simulation of industrial settings
Are you an expert on these solutions? You are welcome to leave your feedback in the comments section.
Do you know of a solution that belongs in this list? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add it.